GTJAI Released 2021 ESG Report
Guotai Junan International Holdings Limited (“Guotai Junan International”, the “Company” or the “Group”, Stock Code: 1788.HK) released the 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) Report. In 2021, global issuers and investors were increasingly paying attention to ESG investing and financing, resulting in the emergence of a thriving green and sustainable finance market. And the enterprises across various industry sectors were taking on the challenge of decarbonization. During the year, the Group adhered to the green operating philosophy including “Finance for the Good” and “Finance for the People” established by the parent company, Guotai Junan Securities Co., Ltd., and integrated sustainable development into daily operations to ensure employees’ safety, while providing high-quality and responsible financial products and services to help the clients, business partners and the whole society move towards a zero-carbon economy. The summary of the report is as follows:
- Energy saving and emission reduction with the Company’s greenhouse gas(GHG) emission comprehensively dropping in 2021. Guotai Junan International continued to prioritize the conservation of energy and resources and fully implement the emission reduction strategy in 2021. Total GHG emission intensity was 0.014 tons CO2-eq/sq.ft., reduced by approximately 22.2% The intensity of energy consumption was 0.018 MWh/sq.ft., decreased by approximately 14.3%. The intensities of hazardous waste and non-hazardous waste per 1,000 square feet of office areas decreased by approximately 60.7% and 28.1%, respectively.
- Collaborative efforts to combat COVID-19 with two doses vaccination rate of nearly 96%. In 2021, Guotai Junan International implemented a number of virus prevention measures to combat COVID-19. To protect the health and safety of employees, the Company timely applied work shifts and the “minimum-scale office model” and arranged a division of labour and cooperation among employees to ensure effective and stable operation. Meanwhile, the Group offered vaccination leave to all employees and reimbursed COVID-19 swab test expenses on demand, with approximately 96% of employees receiving two doses. In 2021, the Group also strengthened the online customer service capabilities to ensure efficient operation of customer service.
- Integrating ESG factors into the decision-making process and practicing responsible investment and active ownership. In 2021, Guotai Junan International incorporated ESG factors into the Group’s Risk Framework as well as the policies and strategies of the front-line businesses. And the Company instilled a negative screening process, responsible investment and active ownership concepts into the investment management practice to further extend its influence as a leading securities firm.
- Popular sustainable financial services with total investing and financing amount soaring strongly. In 2021, the Company accelerated to guild the global capital allocation to high-quality and sustainable enterprises to meet corporate and institutional clients’ needs to transform into low-carbon and sustainable development. In 2021, the total investing and financing amount of the Company’s sustainable finance soared by 323% to reach a record of HK$106.9 billion.
- Digital transformation driven by fintech to improve customer experience efficiently. In 2021, the Group built a Fin-tech Business Team to enhance the group-wide technological innovation capabilities, data management and analysis. The Group launched several digital services during the year, including “eDDA Express Deposit” service, which enables fund transfers in as quick as five minutes; “Flexi-Money”, a cash management tool for professional investors; remote account opening application; and customer service chatbot, to assist clients grasping every investment opportunity.
- People-oriented with high standards to build a talent highland. To meet the development demand, Guotai Junan International has continued to attract high-quality professionals and outstanding international talents to join. At the end of the year, the number of Group’s staff had increased by 17% year-on-year (“YOY”) to 691 in total. At the same time, the Group successfully completed its 2021 Management Trainee Program, which lasted for a period of 6 months to consolidate the Group’s talent pool and echelon and enhance the Group’s market competitiveness. In 2021, the Company supported all aspects of employees’ development, health and well-being by offering a healthy and hygienic work environment, comprehensive training programs and career development opportunities. In 2021, the training time of employees soared by 198% to 6,221 hours YOY and covered 100% of the Company’s employees.
See related article: Arconic Publishes 2021 ESG Report
In the future, the Company will continue to focus on strengthening its group-wide ESG management and implementation of sustainable development strategies, increase investment in environmental protection and energy conservation, enhance corporate governance, employees’ wellbeing and social contributions, and actively seize and manage climate change-related opportunities and risks by developing green finance, encouraging clients as well as the entire society to participate in low-carbon development through its diversified products and services in green bonds, green corporate finance services and green funds.