Gannett Publishes Inaugural Environmental, Social & Governance Report
Gannett Co., Inc. recently published its inaugural 2022 environmental, social and governance (ESG) report detailing the alignment of its efforts across the company’s corporate social responsibility pillars which are people, planet and communities, with the U.N. Sustainable Development goals (U.N. SDGs). The company has chosen three U.N. SDGs to make key priorities and the report provides Gannett’s ESG strategy, achievements to date and goals for the future.
“This report incorporates a more formal ESG strategy for our company that furthers Gannett’s longstanding corporate social responsibility position,” said Gannett Chairman and CEO Mike Reed. “Our significant media reach in the U.S. and U.K. affords us the opportunity and responsibility to help educate our communities as we look forward to leading the way within our industry on sustainability.”
See related article: Ziff Davis Issues 2021 ESG Report
In 2021, Gannett formed a cross-functional committee to help deepen its commitment to people, planet and communities through the formalization of an ESG strategy. The 2022 ESG report reflects an initial step to providing increased transparency of Gannett’s priorities and measured progress, including those focused on the following areas:
- People – U.N. SDG Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities
- Gannett supports a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace offering opportunities for growth backed with policies, practices and resources to enable personal and professional advancement. Beginning in 2020, Gannett announced workplace diversity goals it expects to achieve by 2025 and transparently published global workforce metrics, which we expect to continue to publish bi-annually. Additionally, Gannett newsrooms have pledged to achieve racial and gender parity with the diversity of our nation throughout our workforce. Gannett also broadened the proportion of journalists reporting on diversity and inclusion by adding dedicated reporting positions.
- Planet – U.N. SDG Goal 13: Climate Action
- Gannett strives to minimize its environmental impact through responsible and sustainable business practices for sourcing, consumption and waste. In the U.S. and U.K., the company has defined environmental policies and expects to complete a comprehensive greenhouse gas emissions report that will allow it to redefine its commitment around the company’s carbon footprint. Gannett also increased journalism resources to report on climate change and the environment.
- Communities – U.N. SDG Goal 16: Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions
- Gannett builds community through storytelling and empowers positive action. Our impactful journalism reaches millions of readers each year and has the power to inspire people to become good global citizens. Through trusted, fact-based journalism that adheres to the highest ethical standards, Gannett is steadfast in its commitment to expose wrongs, shine a light on threats to fundamental freedoms and seek solutions that empower citizens to hold their governments accountable.
The 2022 ESG report, which we intend to update annually, can be viewed at: www.gannett.com/sustainability.
Source: Gannett Co., Inc.