NexGen Releases Inaugural Sustainability Report
(PRNewswire) – NexGen Energy Ltd. (“NexGen” or the “Company”) (TSX: NXE) (NYSE: NXE) (ASX: NXG) is pleased to announce the release of its inaugural Sustainability Report, available online on the Company’s website nexgenenergy.ca in the Responsible Development section. The 2020 report provides a comprehensive overview of NexGen’s commitment and approach to maximizing value for all stakeholders and outlines the five key areas of focus that have been identified as foundational to NexGen’s responsible growth strategy.
Leigh Curyer, NexGen Chief Executive Officer commented: “Our sustainability initiatives have always been a key driver across our operations, and we’re proud to be formalizing our commitments in this inaugural report. We look forward to building on the delivery of a robust ESG profile, with sustainability at the forefront of all of our decisions regarding the conduct of the organization.”
Highlights in the Report include:
- NexGen’s approach and commitment to elite environmental performance throughout all phases of the Project lifecycle, including the incorporation of best-in-class practices, designs and technologies.
Health & Safety:
- NexGen’s dedication to achieving zero harm across the organization, and the Company’s commitment to the health, safety and well-being of employees and their families, contractors, partners, and communities. In 2020 against the backdrop of the COVID 19 global pandemic, the health and safety of all was the Company’s top priority, and guided all decisions and actions.
Reclamation & Continuing Land Use:
- NexGen’s approach to responsible and progressive reclamation of the Rook I site, including the industry-leading practices of storing tailings underground in both mined-out stopes and a purpose-built Underground Tailings Management Facility (UGTMF).
- NexGen’s approach to strict regulatory compliance from exploration to mining and processing through to marketing and delivery, including the identification of 39 acts and 71 accompanying sets of regulations potentially applicable to the Rook I Project.
Strong Community & Indigenous Relations:
- NexGen’s dedication since 2013 to fostering trusting relationships that facilitate collaboration and maximize the benefits to all stakeholders and Indigenous peoples, resulting in the development of meaningful community programs that focus on youth, and are centered around culture, education, health and wellness, and economic capacity building.
The report focuses on NexGen’s activities and commitments during the 2020 calendar year and also provides information with respect to historical performance. NexGen will release annually and prepare reports in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative Standards reflecting the appropriate stage of the Company’s development.
NexGen is a British Columbia corporation with a focus on developing the Rook I Project located in the southwestern Athabasca Basin, Saskatchewan, Canada into production. Rook I hosts the Arrow Deposit that hosts Measured Mineral Resources of 209.6 M lbs of U3O8 contained in 2.18 M tonnes grading 4.35% U3O8, Indicated Mineral Resources of 47.1 M lbs of U3O8 contained in 1.57 M tonnes grading 1.36% U3O8, and Inferred Mineral Resources of 80.7 M lbs of U3O8 contained in 4.40 M tonnes grading 0.83% U3O8. The Rook I Project is supported by a NI 43-101 compliant Feasibility Study which outlines elite environmental performance as well as industry leading economics.
NexGen has a highly experienced team of uranium industry professionals with a successful track record in the discovery of uranium deposits and in developing projects through discovery to production. The Company is the recipient of the 2018 PDAC Bill Dennis Award for Canadian mineral discovery and the 2019 PDAC Environmental and Social Responsibility Award.
All technical information in this news release has been reviewed and approved by Anthony ( Tony) George , P.Eng, NexGen’s Chief Project Officer, a qualified person under National Instrument 43-101.