Natera Announces 2025 ESG Goals with Publication of 2021 Report
Natera, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTRA), a global leader in cell-free DNA (cfDNA) testing, today announced the publication of its 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report detailing the company’s commitment to environmental sustainability, social equity and improved access to health care. The report, which can be found here, includes the company’s 2025 ESG Goals.
“In pursuing our mission to deliver innovation that improves the lives of patients, it is critically important that we operate in a sustainable way,” said Steve Chapman, CEO for Natera. “We’re proud to issue our first ESG report, which includes specific, measurable goals to reinforce our commitment to prioritizing environmental, social and governance initiatives.”
Key highlights from Natera’s 2021 ESG report include:
- 2021 Scope 1-3 emissions disclosed, one of the first companies in the diagnostic industry to measure its full greenhouse gas footprint.
- 4,400 employee hours volunteered, supporting organizations that align with Natera’s mission.
- 2 million pounds of waste diverted from landfill, via recycling and composting programs.
- 120 leaders completed the Management Development Program, to support growth and foster effective manager-employee relationships.
- Great Place to Work certified, with 91% of employees proud to work at Natera based on a broad, independently administered employee survey.
- ESG Core Team created, with leaders across Natera’s business focused on driving ESG initiatives.
The publication of Natera’s 2021 report and 2025 goals build upon the company’s history of advancing ESG initiatives; between 2019 – 2020 these included:
- Creation of four employee resource groups representing sustainability, diversity and inclusion, advancing women in leadership and volunteerism.
- Extension of parental leave benefits for employees.
- Expansion of employee IVF and fertility coverage and benefits.
- Completion of gender pay analysis.
Natera’s 2025 ESG Goals, which are included in the report and listed below, will drive the company’s short-term ESG and sustainability strategy. The goals were informed by the results of a materiality assessment that Natera completed in early 2022 and have a baseline year of 2021:
- Reduce non-biohazardous waste footprint per test kit by 25%.
- Achieve 80% waste diversion for Austin and San Carlos sites for non-biohazardous waste.
- Transition 50% of sales fleet to electric vehicles.
- Complete My Green Lab Certification at Austin and San Carlos sites.
- Collaborate with 25 of Natera’s top 100 critical suppliers to have Scope 1-2 emissions reduction initiatives.
- Achieve 100% completion of annual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) training for people managers.
- Perform annual pay equity analysis and adjust as appropriate.
- Log 20,000 employee volunteer hours from 2021 to 2025.
- Increase diversity of Executive Leadership.
- Report ESG initiatives and updates to the Board twice annually.